Given how ubiquitous blogs are these days, it’s hard to believe that the industry is still relatively youthful-- but this youth has not held blogging back. The term may have been unheard of 20 years ago, but it is now a viable career option; and it might be just what you need to help boost your income.
If you’re looking for a side hustle that can help improve your financial situation, be done from home, and requires relatively little in terms of startup costs, then read on…
What Is Blogging?
It seemed pertinent to include this, just in case! Blogging is basically publishing posts on a website-- you’re reading a blog right now.
A blog can be monetized so that it is able to earn money for the blogger. In essence, this means that starting a blog is effectively a small business opportunity.
Who Can Create A Blog?
Do Blogs Have To Be Based On A Specific Subject?
It helps if they are, especially if you are looking to monetize the blog, but lifestyle blogs are also popular-- so you can largely write about anything that you want.
How Can Blogging Help Boost My Income?
There are a variety of ways that blogs make money. Here are a few options you may want to consider:
- Sponsored posts. Advertisers pay the blogger to write about a specific product or service; bloggers are then paid for the post that they produce.
- Advertising. Advertising used to be the biggest earner for bloggers, but times are changing; more and more people are using adblockers, and advertising revenue is down across all platforms. While you may not be able to make huge amounts of money through advertising anymore, it is still a viable tactic for making money from your blog.
- Bloggers can also use affiliate marketing to promote products and then receive a percentage of any sales of that product.
How Much Money Can Bloggers Make?
This very much depends on how much time you have available, what you are willing to invest, and how good your content is.
Some bloggers only make enough to cover their webhosting costs; for others, it’s a full-time -- and very lucrative -- occupation.
How Do I Make The Most Money From Blogging?
Here are a few considerations to ensure you’re getting the most out of your blog:
- Produce unique content; write posts that no one else is writing, covering different angles, or sharing your personal story. You want your blog to offer something that isn’t available anywhere else online.
- Use an inbound marketing agency to help drive traffic to your blog. Why is traffic so important? The amount you can command for sponsored posts is linked to how many visitors your blog receives, so if you want your blog to be a viable business opportunity rather than a hobby, traffic should be your primary concern.
- Don’t be shy about pitching to companies that you want to work with; you don’t have to sit back and just wait for them to come to you.
Ultimately, blogging professionally is what you make of it. The more hours you put in, the harder you work on your content, then the better the results will be. However, there’s no denying that this is a viable business opportunity if you’re willing to experiment and see how you can make it work for you.